I created this for a blog post on my website and it absolutely epitomises my experience of working as an editor in a competitive young commercially minded post production house where I used to work.
1. Plant life - this may be the only thing you have to remind you of the great outdoors through the long hours in the dark. Note the angle poise lamp is necessary to allow the plant to photosynthesise without this the plant will not get enough light.
2. The typical edit suite desk – this space should be the place of creation, all the tools you need at your fingertips. There should always be a steaming hot cup of tea and a saucer of cookies (for the sake of your sanity). With this standard layout you should be able to cut any project to a high standard (as long as the phone doesn’t ring to often).
3. The all famous ‘fat boy sandwich’ this toasted ciabatta sandwich with chicken, bacon, mozzarella, tomato, avocado and mayonnaise could satisfy any hunger pangs, so befriend it and enjoy every last mouthful.
4. The bicycle - important when considering eating the afore-mentioned ‘fat boy sandwiches’. Unless you actually want to get fat, regular exercise is the only way to avoid such a happening, and what better way to do it than to travel in style on a London hip fixie road bike.
5. The deluxe ‘Aeron chair’ – This spaceship of an office chair can adjust in everyway imaginable (well almost). Without a decent comfortable chair you will ruin your back and not be able to work so pay close attention to what you’re sitting in.
6. Under the desk – this is where you are likely to spend much of your time (especially as a newbie). In fact the amount of time you spend under desks can be used as a measure of success, the less time under desks the more successful you are likely to have become. Either this or you are so useless at maintenance that you know any attempt to head under the desk is futile.
7. The apple gizmo – Sadly nearly every editor I know has an iPhone. Not only this, but almost every editor I know is madly obsessed with apple products in general, and will be the first to read about the latest gizmos. Don’t get left behind know your apple.
Aside from the bike pretty much spot on.
This is perfect. Dead on.